I was looking for something to do with my rhubarb one day and my friend gave me this recipe of her grandmother's. It's a little sweet, and sour. I think it's better than the traditional, Strawberry rhubarb pie. My family loves it.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Mix rhubarb, sugar, salt,tapioca and eggs in a mixing bowl.
- Let mixture set for 30 minutes.
- Pour into bottom pie shell and place top crust on pie. Crimp edges together and pierce top crust in several places to let steam escape.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven when done and let cool on rack.
Tapioca didn't dissolve. I took all the hard bits of tapioca out and broke up the filling and biscuit crust. Used it to make a layered yoghurt dessert for guests, with a touch of icecream..Sadly for me, this recipe needs more work.
I made this for a family Sunday lunch, everyone enjoyed it, even those who hate rhubarb! I followed the recipe exactly but I made a biscuit pastry (will add the recipe) with a thick egg white and sugar wash. Served it warm with thick cream. I will definately add this to the family favourites.