Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Libby's old newspaper clipping. I have made this but not with the meringue. I just mixed the whole egg together and added some nutmeg and 1 cup sugar. This is a really good recipe.
- 1 1⁄4 cups rhubarb
- 1 pie shell, unbaked
- 1 3⁄8 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Spread thinly sliced rhubarb in bottom of unbaked pie shell.
- Heat milk; add butter.
- Beat egg yolks; add sugar, flour, salt.
- Gradually pour hot milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Pour this custard mixture over the rhubarb; sprinkle nutmeg over pie.
- Bake at 425F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 325°F and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Beat egg whites and honey together until stiff. Spread meringue over top of pie.
- Bake at 300°F for 20 minutes.
Delicious! I didn't do the meringue and used whole eggs to make the custard. It tasted so good : this is a recipe that I'll be coming back to!
What a nice little recipe! I skipped the meringue part and used whole eggs for the custard (added an extra tablespoon of flour). DH and DS were nuts for it--with their own caveats! DS says, "serve it cold, it tastes better." DH says, "serve it warm, it tastes better." So--YOU decide!!! I used probably 2 or 2 1/2 cups of rhubarb since it's in season right now, and we have LOTS! *ZWT 3 May 2007*
this is a really good pie