Recipe by Mert in Michigan
This is the best Rhubarb Custard Pie that I have ever come across. It is a hit even with those that think they don't like rhubarb. This is a good one to start the Spring fruit season with as Rhubarb is the first fruit to come ripe in the Spring.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
A delicious rhubarb custard pie! The sweet custard and the tart rhubarb are a great combination. I used one and a half cups of sugar to the four cups of rhubarb and it was perfect for our tastes. I grated fresh nutmeg into the pie, oh so good! I used two prepared pie crusts; the recipe sounds interesting, perhaps I will try the crust another time. I baked the pie about 45 minutes, perfect!
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut up
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil (Wesson oil preferred)
- 1⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Mix the pie crust ingredients altogether and roll out between two pieces of waxed paper. This is for a 2 crust pie. It's the flakiest pie crust you will ever have. 9 inch pie.
- For the filling, mix together the first 4 ingredients.
- Add eggs and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the rhubarb.
- Put into crust and top with 2nd crust.
- Bake 10 minutes at 450; reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 30 minutes.