Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great summer pie.
- 50 g custard powder (Bird's)
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 1 liter milk
- 1100 g rhubarb (in light syrup)
- 350 g self raising flour
- 150 g margarine
- 100 g brown sugar
- Preheat oven 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
- Mix the Bird’s Custard Powder with the granulated sugar in 200ml of the milk.
- Bring the rest of the milk to the boil.
- Stir the boiling milk into the custard mixture, mix well and return to the pan. Bring to the boil stirring all of the time and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Reserve to one side.
- Place the drained rhubarb in a 2 litre oven proof dish and pour over the custard.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs, and stir in the brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the rhubarb and custard.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden.