Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Quick and easy, good for the frozen rhubarb you have left from summer.
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Combine chopped rhubarb and sugar, (if using cinnamon mix it with sugar, then mix with rhubarb.
- Set aside.
- Prepare yellow cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour batter in 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle rhubarb mixture on top.
- Pour 1 pint of whipping cream over all and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake at 350° about 1 hour.
- Cake will rise to top and sauce will form on the bottom.
Best Ever!! A suggestiong...pour the sugar evenly on top after adding the rhubarb and whipping cream. Don't skimp out on the cream. It tastes best with the whipping cream, not half-n-half.
The cake was still warm when I tried it, and I thought it was only OK. I refrigerated the leftovers in a sealed container and tried it again the next day....wow, tastes so much better refrigerated...was moist and flavourful. The cake had wonderful texture and the flavour of the rhubarb was more noticeable.
Fabulous! We loved this easy recipe. We used a gluten-free yellow cake mix, and it worked just fine. Because of a dairy intolerance, we replaced the whipping cream with 2 cups of coconut milk, and that worked absolutely perfectly. We're going to try this same basic recipe with peaches instead of rhubarb -- probably cutting down on the sugar in that instance -- and see if that works.