Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious easy rhubarb recipe, the best rhubarb cake recipe I've ever eaten! It is great warm out of the oven, and then I refrigerate the leftover cake, and it is wonderful cold, too! The cream, sugar and rhubarb sink to the bottom, forming a custard layer.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water, for cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, for cake mix
- 3 eggs, for cake mix
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.
- Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the cake batter.
- Sprinkle the sugar on the top of the rhubarb.
- Pour the heavy cream over the sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.
I have made this year after year and given some to friends who have never tried rhubarb before. Needless to say they now request this whenever rhubarb comes in season. This recipe is so simple and so very good. Lots of people wondered what kind of topping I had put on the cake only to find out that the topping makes itself while it bakes. This is a great and easy recipe to make for those BBQ or any other kind of get together with friends.
SO GOOD! My mom and I were looking for a good rhubarb recipe to make for my grandpa and I found this. We used white cake mix and made the cake according to the box, then did the rhubarb, sugar and cream as you said. The only think I might do would be add more rhubarb and more sugar next time. Thanks for sharing this!!