Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes a creamy sweet/tart custard on the bottom with cake on top. Please eat this cake within a day or two. Enjoy!
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour cake into a greased 9x13 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle rhubarb evenly over top.
- Sprinkle sugar evenly over rhubarb.
- Pour cream over sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- **Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to the bottom to form custard layer**.
This is excellent, and It can be halved by using a 1 layer cake mix, 2 cups rhubarb 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup cream. I prefer the cake cooled and chilled.
Oh, wow, this is so-o-o-o good! And it is easy to make also, a double advantage. This recipe is essentially the same as the other rhubarb custard cake recipe in RecipeZaar but this one uses less sugar and cream. Thanks for sharing.
I substituted brown sugar for white as I thought an amber colour would be more appealing. Also, I added a tsp. of cinnamon to the cake mix to kick up the flavour a notch. If you are wondering whether you can sub frozen rhubarb for fresh, absolutely. I did it successfully but stirring the sugar into the rhubarb then sprinkling the whole mixture on the cake. When I poured on the cream, I ended up using the last of the carton which was about 1 1/2 cups of cream. I think it was just right. I served this cake to company and everyone wanted the recipe, so I think both the recipe and the substitutions worked very well.