Recipe by Olha
This is a combination of tart rhubarb and creamy sweet custard.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is a truly wonderful way to enjoy rhubarb. I doubled the amount of sugar in the cooked rhubarb and that was as tart as I could tolerate. I'll probably add more next time. I made the custard using fat free half and half and it was soooo good with the rhubarb. When it looked like we were going to run short of the custard I folded the remaining custard into some fat free whipped topping and that was great as well. Of course, if you can handle the calories, go for the best ingredients, as written.
- 2 lbs rhubarb, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rhubarb, 1/4 cup sugar and ginger together over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the rhubarb is tender.
- Heat whipping cream.
- Mix egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch and vanilla together until smooth.
- Whisk warm whipping cream into egg yolk mixture slowly.
- Return to saucepan.
- Heat until thickened over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Pour into bowl and cool.
- To serve swirl rhubarb and custard together in sherbet glasses or put rhubarb into sherbet glasses and top with custard.
- Serves 4 to 6.
- Ruth Fremes Whats Cooking.