Recipe by katie in the UP
I found this recipe in a Pillsbury 'Potluck' cookbook. DH loves rhubarb and I'm making this pie for his B'day. **UPDATE** After talking to my Mom and MIL ...instead of 3/4 cup sugar I used 1 cup...worked perfectly!
- 5 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, softened
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix rhubarb 3/4 cup sugar, tapioca and orange peel; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place pie crust in a 9 inch glass pie plate.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender (or 2 knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spoon rhubarb mixture into crust lined pie plate; sprinkle with topping.
- Cover curst edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Place foil or cookie sheet on oven rack in lowest position to catch any spills.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 375 and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Remove foil; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until browned and bubbly.
- Cool 3 hours before serving.