Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, margarine and cinnamon until crumbly: Press half of this mixture into a 9" greased pan.
- Cover with chopped rhubarb.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and water.
- Cook until thick and clear in a small saucepan.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour over rhubarb. Top with remaining crumbs.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
This is a wonderful springtime treat! I took the advice of a few others and pre-baked the crust 12 minutes to help it set up. I added about 6 strawberries to the fruit mix for added color and flavor. I baked it all for an additional 50 minutes. I'm not a big rhubarb fan, but I LOVE this!
I made this for a 9 X 13 pan by multiplying the ingredients by 1.5. This is a great recipe and I will definitely make it again.
I use this exact recipe, also making the sauce with 1 C. white sugar. Actually got the recipe from dear Edna Staeblers cookbook "Food That Really Shmecks". She's still going strong at 90+ years old and her cookbooks are like dear friends to me. You can use any combo of fruits. Last time I combined rhubarb and sour cherries. Frozen strawberries work well too. Highly recommended.