Recipe by Sharis2006
I planted five rhubarb plants in the garden in 2003. Then, I found this recipe comes from "Supercook's supersavers cookbook" (1980). The favour of the dessert is nice. However, we only have it as a treat a couple of time per year as my husband needs to lose weight. I normally use half apple, half rhubarb as I found the original recipe a bit too sharp for me. We also pre-heat the rhubarb mixture before spoon it into the pie dish.
- 1 kg rhubarb, chopped
- 1 lemon, grated rind and juiced
- 15 ml crystallized ginger, finely chopped (or stem ginger)
- 75 g brown sugar
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 g salt
- 65 g butter, diced
- 50 g granulated brown sugar (or Demerara sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease a 1.15L pie dish with butter.
- To make the crumble, sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar.
- Put the rhubarb in a bowl and add the lemon rind, juice, ginger and sugar. mix well and spoon into the prepared dish.
- Cover the rhubarb with the crumble toppings and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.