Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Aaaah, Rhubarb!!! Love it!! Any time of year!! Here's a great recipe from Homemaker's magazine. If you like Rhubarb Crisp, you'll love these squares!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen, about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- pecan halves (optional)
- BASE: In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
- With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Reserving 1 cup of flour mixture, press remainder evenly over base of greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- RHUBARB FILLING: In medium saucepan, stir together rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and orange rind.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes for fresh rhubarb, 15 minutes for frozen, until thickened.
- Let cool.
- Spoon rhubarb filling evenly over base; sprinkle evenly with reserved flour mixture.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool in pan before cutting into squares; top each square with a pecan half.
- (Squares can be frozen, well wrapped, for up to 2 months).
This was my first time cooking with rhubarb and it was great. I found that bottom crust to be very thick so next time I will put it in a larger pan and maybe double the filling. The combination of orange and rhubarb is excellent!
This is an excellent recipe. I had it in 1994 and made it frequently. But I had lost it. Thank you so much for posting it. These are very yummy!