Recipe by Boyz 5
Aaaah, Rhubarb!!! Love it!! Any time of year!! Here's a great recipe from Homemaker's magazine. If you like Rhubarb Crisp, you'll love these squares!!
Top Review by AZ to AK
This was my first time cooking with rhubarb and it was great. I found that bottom crust to be very thick so next time I will put it in a larger pan and maybe double the filling. The combination of orange and rhubarb is excellent!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen, about 1 lb.)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- pecan halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- BASE: In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
- With a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Reserving 1 cup of flour mixture, press remainder evenly over base of greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- RHUBARB FILLING: In medium saucepan, stir together rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and orange rind.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes for fresh rhubarb, 15 minutes for frozen, until thickened.
- Let cool.
- Spoon rhubarb filling evenly over base; sprinkle evenly with reserved flour mixture.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool in pan before cutting into squares; top each square with a pecan half.
- (Squares can be frozen, well wrapped, for up to 2 months).