Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook'
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375°; grease 12 3 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups.
- Make the topping: mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl; mix in the butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until the mixture forms small crumbs; set aside.
- Make the batter: mix the rhubarb and sugar together in a bowl; set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl; set it aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until they are light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla; beat until they are fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Slowly mix in half the flour mixture until it is incorporated, then half the milk; mix it and scrape down the sides of the bowl; repeat.
- Fold in the rhubarb mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
- Distribute the crumbs evenly on top of each muffin.
- Bake them for 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one muffin comes out clean.
Superb muffins using one of my favorite fruits this time of year when the rhubarb is plentiful. I especially like the crumb topping. :-) I should mention my muffins took a full 30 minutes to bake.
I used frozen rhubarb and it worked great! These are excellent muffins and I look forward to making them again. Next time I may add some nuts to the crumb topping, cause I love nuts in muffins!