Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This recipe was given to me by a coworker who highly recommends it. I haven't tried it myself ast yet. It comes from "500 Best Cookies, Bars & Squares. Note: If you find that the squares are a little watery, place them in the refrigerator. They should firm up nicely.
Top Review by Its Me Busy Bee
With rhubarb in season this is an excellent way to use it. We loved these squares! I used Splenda in place of the sugar to cut some calories and it worked beautifully. Another great rhubarb recipe. Yeahhhhh!
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8" square cake.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and zest in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Mix together flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs using a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingers.
- Set aside 1 cup.
- Press remainder evenly in greased cake pan.
- Spread filling evenly over base and sprinkle.
- reserved flour mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in preheated oven or 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place pan on a rack to cool.
- After completely cooled, cut into squares.