This recipe was given to me by a coworker who highly recommends it. I haven't tried it myself ast yet. It comes from "500 Best Cookies, Bars & Squares. Note: If you find that the squares are a little watery, place them in the refrigerator. They should firm up nicely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8" square cake.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and zest in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Mix together flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs using a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingers.
- Set aside 1 cup.
- Press remainder evenly in greased cake pan.
- Spread filling evenly over base and sprinkle.
- reserved flour mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in preheated oven or 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place pan on a rack to cool.
- After completely cooled, cut into squares.