Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was given to me by a coworker who highly recommends it. I haven't tried it myself ast yet. It comes from "500 Best Cookies, Bars & Squares. Note: If you find that the squares are a little watery, place them in the refrigerator. They should firm up nicely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8" square cake.
- Combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and zest in a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Mix together flour, sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs using a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingers.
- Set aside 1 cup.
- Press remainder evenly in greased cake pan.
- Spread filling evenly over base and sprinkle.
- reserved flour mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in preheated oven or 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place pan on a rack to cool.
- After completely cooled, cut into squares.
With rhubarb in season this is an excellent way to use it. We loved these squares! I used Splenda in place of the sugar to cut some calories and it worked beautifully. Another great rhubarb recipe. Yeahhhhh!
I used 1/2 cup ground walnuts which I did up in the processor but found the bottom crust to be too floury??? Not enough filling We're going to mix it in some icecream for a new flavor to salvage the bar
This is THE reason to grow rhubarb! I have Esther Brody's recipe books and they are all wonderful and tasty. This is the recipe I turn to first when my rhubarb is finally ready for eating. I've made it countless times for co-workers and potlucks and I'm always asked to give the recipe within the first few bites. Sweet but not too sweet, the crumbs hold together well and it is incredibly tasty. I've made it without the orange zest (ran out) and it was great. I've also substituted walnuts for the pecans and it was equally as good! My in-laws do *not* like rhubarb but could not stop eating these bars. Wonderful bars - this recipe is a "keeper" - I'm actually getting this recipe to pass along to my Mother!