Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Who loves rhubarb? This sweet delicious crispy rhubarb pudding is different and astonishingly good. My mother has cooked it for as long as I can remember, and it always gets gobbled up quickly!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups toast, cubes
- 4 cups corn flakes (breakfast cereal)
- 4 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blend butter and ½ cup sugar thoroughly together with an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Fold in nutmeg, vanilla essence, toast cubes and cornflakes (don’t worry, the mixture will be fairly dry).
- Spread half the mixture into a buttered 9 inch by 13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange rhubarb evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ cup sugar over the rhubarb.
- Cover with remaining mixture.
- Cook in oven for about 40 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
Really great recipe. I love bread pudding and this one puts a little different twist on things with the corn flakes giving it that cripy texture. Will definately make again.
It is probably my own fault that I didn't like this recipe better. It says "crispy" and it says the mixture will be fairly dry. Still, I was expecting something more like regular bread pudding but with a crispy top. What I got was a good tasting dessert, crispy throughout, with a subtle rhubarb flavor but not a bread pudding texture.