Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I was about the only rhubarb lover the time I made this, so I got most if it to myself! ;) Of course it's good with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It's from Ladies Home Journal 100 Great Pie & Pastry Recipes.
- 2 (16 ounce) bags frozen rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped & toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- FOR FILLING: Mix rhubarb, sugar, and flour.
- Transfer to a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- FOR TOPPING: Cream the butter and sugars.
- Blend in the flour and cinnamon.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Crumble the topping over the rhubarb mixture.
- BAKING: Place the crisp on foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or bubbling and golden brown on top.
- Cool slightly and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
This is the first pie I've ever made and 1st time to cook rhubarb... Turns out everyone loves it!! Thanks ;) Btw, drained a bit of the water does help.
I used 8 ounces of frozen rhubarb and 8 ounces of frozen strawberries. It was a bit watery like you can see on my photo but this is very tasty. Not too sweet. If you like it sweet, you can add more sugar. Thanks Mliss. Made for the Babes of ZWT4