Chef mariajane's Note:
This dessert would be an elegant finale to Easter dinner. Roasting softens rhubarb, mellows its tartness and removes enough moisture so that the rhubarb pieces float in the velvety creamy custard. A hint of maple syrup further enhances the spring flavours we've anticipated all winter long.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, roast rhubarb for 20 minutes or until it softens and most of the moisture evaporates; set aside.
- 2Reduce oven temperature to 300°F Butter 3/4 cup heatproof custard cups or ramekins; place them in a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- 3In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, thoroughly combine 3/4 cup of the sugar with water.
- 4Turn heat to medium-high; bring to a boil without stirring, 5-7 minutes or until sugar is completely melted and amber in colour. immediately divide among prepared custard cup, swirling to coat the bottoms. Set aside.
- 5In a small saucepan, heat table cream over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until steaming.
- 6Alternatively, in a microwave-safe bowl, heat table cream for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high power or until steaming.
- 7In a separate medium bowl, whisk remaining 1/4 cup sugar, maple syrup, and eggs, gradually whisk in heated table cream. STir in roasted rhubarb.
- 8Divide custard among prepared custard cups.
- 9Pour enough hot water into baking dish to come halfway up sides of custard cups.
- 10Bake for 50-55 minutes or until custard is set in center. Remove custard cups from water; let cool on wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- 11Loosely cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- 12Run a sharp knife around cups to loosen custards; invert onto serving plates. Decorate with a dollop of whipped cream.
- 13COKKING TIPS: To prevent burning,as the the sugar cooks to caramel, brush down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirl sugar mixture occasionally. Prepare sugared custard cups and roast rhubarb a day in advance. The remaining steps can be done in a mater of minutes.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Creme Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.6
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 183.1 mg
- Sodium 78.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 40.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g