Prep 0 mins
Cook 1320 hrs
This dessert would be an elegant finale to Easter dinner. Roasting softens rhubarb, mellows its tartness and removes enough moisture so that the rhubarb pieces float in the velvety creamy custard. A hint of maple syrup further enhances the spring flavours we've anticipated all winter long.
- 3 1⁄2 cups sliced rhubarb (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄2 cups 18% table cream
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, roast rhubarb for 20 minutes or until it softens and most of the moisture evaporates; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300°F Butter 3/4 cup heatproof custard cups or ramekins; place them in a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, thoroughly combine 3/4 cup of the sugar with water.
- Turn heat to medium-high; bring to a boil without stirring, 5-7 minutes or until sugar is completely melted and amber in colour. immediately divide among prepared custard cup, swirling to coat the bottoms. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat table cream over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes or until steaming.
- Alternatively, in a microwave-safe bowl, heat table cream for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high power or until steaming.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk remaining 1/4 cup sugar, maple syrup, and eggs, gradually whisk in heated table cream. STir in roasted rhubarb.
- Divide custard among prepared custard cups.
- Pour enough hot water into baking dish to come halfway up sides of custard cups.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until custard is set in center. Remove custard cups from water; let cool on wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Run a sharp knife around cups to loosen custards; invert onto serving plates. Decorate with a dollop of whipped cream.
- COKKING TIPS: To prevent burning,as the the sugar cooks to caramel, brush down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirl sugar mixture occasionally. Prepare sugared custard cups and roast rhubarb a day in advance. The remaining steps can be done in a mater of minutes.