Recipe by Elly in Canada
From Elizabeth Baird's Summer Berries. I prefer nutmeg in the streusel topping.
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white flour
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 cups diced rhubarb, 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon or 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Sufficient pastry for a 1-crust 10” pie (1.5L).
- Line a pie plate with the pastry.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- To make the filling: place sugar, flour, sour cream, egg yolk and rhubarb in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly, then spoon into the pie shell.
- To make the topping: mix the dry ingredients in a medium bowl, using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the mixture until it is crumbly.
- Spoon evenly over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and bake 30 minutes more or until the crumble top is golden and crisp, and the rhubarb is tender.
- Serve warm or cold.