Recipe by Kendra*
This recipe is from the Colorado Cache cookbook. I was given some rhubarb by a friend several years ago, and when I looked for a recipe to use it, this is the one I came up with. It has since become one of our favorites and is a recipe that I like to fix for Easter dinner.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, oatmeal, butter and cinnamon.
- Press half the mixture into a greased 8 inch square baking dish. Set remainder aside.
- Combine sugar, water and cornstarch in a saucepan and cook until very thick.
- Stir in rhubarb and vanilla, then pour over the oatmeal mixture in the baking dish.
- Top with remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for one hour.
- This is very good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.