Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is something new that I have yet to try! Just thought I would share...
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400*. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish. In a sauce pan, mix brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in rhubarb and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Dot with butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, mix the milk and egg. Add all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just to moisten. Kneed on floured board for 30 minutes, roll out and place on top of rhubarb mixture. sprinkle with granulated sugar and chopped nuts.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Turn on broiler, and watch closely until nicely browned.
While I really enjoyed the filling of this the bad topping overshadowed that. I'm not sure what the purpose of kneading the dough for 30 minutes was for, but my dough was tough and didn't taste good. I'm not sure if it was my error since I made sure I followed the recipe exactly. I wish this was better since I was really looking forward to it.