Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of my adopted recipes. Would be a wonderful accompaniment to ham and pork for the holidays or everyday!
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom (scant)
- 4 1⁄2 cups rhubarb (from 1 3/4 pounds rhubarb, coarsely chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup dried currant
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Stir first 6 ingredients in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
- Add rhubarb, currants, and green onions; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until rhubarb is tender but not falling apart, about 4 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Discard cinnamon.
- Cover and refrigerate chutney until cold, at least 1 hour (Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated).
- Bring to room temperature before serving.