Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I have an abundance of rhubarb and find this makes a great chutney.
- 2 large oranges
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh rhubarb or 2 1⁄2 lbs frozen rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 5 1⁄3 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups golden seedless raisins
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 12 whole allspice
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- Grate zest from both oranges and set aside.
- Cut oranges into sections and remove white membrane and discard and let orange sections drop into a bowl along with any juice.
- Remove orange sections from bowl and chop coarsely; return to bowl along with any juice.
- In a large non-reactive pot, (stainless or enamel pots), combine rhubarb, oranges including juice, onions, brown sugar, raisins and vinegar.
- Tie mustard seeds, allspice and peppercorns in a cheese cloth bag and add to pot.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Remove spice bag and discard.
- Prepare half-pint jars for canning.
- Ladle chutney into prepared jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Wipe tops of jars, and place lids and screw tops according to manufacturers instructions.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from bath and let cool completely.
- Lids should be concave when sealed.
- Store in a cool, dark place.
- NOTE: TO FREEZE RHUBARB Cut stalks into 1 inch pieces.
- Spread pieces on a cookie sheet and place in freezer until firm.
- Remove rhubarb pieces from sheet and place into zip-lok bags or seal in vacuum sealed bags.
- Store in freezer for up to one year.
I'm making this chutney for the second year in a row after so many friends and family loved it. Great for hostess gifts. As I didn't have whole allspice I just added 1 tsp. of ground to the pot instead.