Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A batch of this recipe has many uses. It is delicious served with cream cheese and crackers, as a glaze for barbecued pork or poultry and as a condiment with any pork or poultry dish. Feel free to halve the recipe to makes it more manageable.
- 10 cups fresh rhubarb, coarsely chopped or 10 cups frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine rhubarb, onions, vinegar, sugars, raisins, currants, ginger, salt, cinnamon, cloves and curry powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring frequently, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Makes about 8 cups.
- TO FREEZE: Allow to cool completely. Spoon into containers and freeze for up to 1 year.
- To serve: Thaw in refrigerator overnight.
- The Best Freezer Cookbook.