Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This chutney is fabulous served with pork chops or tenderloin if you are entertaining,it originally came from Bon appetit magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in heavy saucepan, then simmer for 5 mins until rhubarb is soft, stirring occasionally,.
- Serve warm with pork, chicken or salmon.
This chutney just blew me away...it is going immediately into my "Best of the Best" cookbook. For dietary reasons I substituted 6 Tbsp of Splenda Brown Sugar blend for the regular sugar, and I used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon instead of the cinnamon stick. Also I did not have any currants, so used dried cherries. This was beyond tasty with pork and chicken...I even think it would be great with yogurt!
Very good. Used rasins instead of currants. Good on burgers.