Recipe by KristinB
This is a family favorite. My aunt found it in a local newspaper about 30 years ago--it won first prize in a rhubarb recipe contest. It was submitted by a Mrs Marcella Strand. The meat will be very tender in a slightly sour sauce. Very good over mashed potatoes or with French bread.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck steaks (one inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (398 ml) can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1 (284 ml) can condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut steak into serving pieces.
- Melt butter in dutch oven or roaster on top of stove& brown steak on both sides.
- Remove steak.
- Combine remaining ingredients in pan, heat& stir to dissolve buillion cube.
- Add steaks, cover& cook slowly for about 3 hours in 350 F oven or until meat is tender.
- Turn meat occasionally during cooking.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or slices of rye or French bread.
- I usually make this in the crockpot.
- I brown the steak first then cook on low for 8 to 8 1/2 hours on Low.