Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Serve this sauce with poultry (chicken, duck, turkey breast).
- 1⁄2 cup tawny port
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (fresh Strawberries)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb, trimmed and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan heat the port over moderate heat until it is hot.
- Add the cherries, cover the pot and let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- Add a little oil to a skillet and heat, add shallots and saute over moderately high heat until softened.
- Add the rhubarb and saute for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add the cherry/port mixture to the saute pan and let it simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer until reduced by one third.
- Whisk in the arrowroot mixture and let the sauce come to a boil.
- Add the pepper and salt to taste.
- Slice the poultry entree at an angle and divide among 4 plates.
- Serves each portion topped with some of the sauce.