Recipe by pansregnig
This was one of my dad's favorites, and the only way anybody was going to get ME to eat rhubarb as a kid!
- 4 cups rhubarb, diced (2 pounds)
- 1 (1 lb) can sour pitted cherries, drained
- 1 cup sugar or 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rhubarb, cherries, sugar, and tapioca; let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and salt in bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Sprinkle water over mixture; stir ingredients quickly with fork until blended; gather into a ball; divide in half.
- Roll out one half to a 12-inch circle; fit into 9-inch pie plate. Trim even with edge of pan; moisten edge with cold water.
- Spoon filling into pastry; dot with butter.
- Roll out second half of pastry as the first; fold in half; cut designs or slashes in top to vent steam. Place over filling with fold at center; unfold. Trim upper crust 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold edge of top crust under edge of bottom crust. Flute with fingers.
- Brush top of pie with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in 425F oven for 45 to 50 minutes until crust is golden.