Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is wonderful! If you are a fan of rhubarb deserts and are looking for a unique twist, this is it. It has sweet and sour going on in the same bite. It is easy to make low fat by substituting light cream cheese and sour cream. Great looking too!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese (you may use light cream cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream (I use lowfat)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter. Mix until crumbly and pat into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- Place foil or another pan under this to bake.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the chopped rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Pour onto crust. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour over hot rhubarb in the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, or until filling is set. Cover with sour cream topping while still hot.
- To make the sour cream topping: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well and spread on top of cake.
- Chill cheesecake for at least 4 hours before serving. It is better after 24 hours.
- I have heard from others that they add chopped pecans to the crust and sprinkled on top when cooled.
I was looking for something different but quick to put together. I made this for my Father for Father's Day because he gave me some rhubarb plants last year which really produced well this year. Well, I think he really liked it because he had 2 slices! When I make it next time, I'll use reduce fat sour cream and perhaps at least one lower fat block of cream cheese. I was so full I couldn't move from one slice, it was really good. It's a nice shortbread crust which is worth making from scratch and so quick to make in the food processor. I lined the inside of my spingform pan with foil prior to filling to ensure the butter didn't drip out all over while baking and make the house smell "burnt". If you like a sweet and tart contrast (which doesn't take on that full rhubarb flavor), I think you'll enjoy this a lot. Thanks for sharing!
Made this today in a store bought graham cracker crust.
It is my new favorite cheesecake and also my new favorite rhubarb dessert.
My family really liked it as well.
Phenomonel cheesecake! It has a light, sweet/tart taste that is quite suprising (considering how tart rhubarb can be. Don't leave out the sour cream topping; it is a must!! I had put down 2 large freezer bags last summer; I just finished the last of it today!! Love the recipe for the fact that it is fast and easy to make...doesn't cost $25 just for the cream cheese...I can cut the recipe in half and serve it to 6 people... and, my family demands that I made it!! This is one recipe that I would highly recommend!! Kudos on a great posting!!