Rhubarb -Cheese Strudel With Vanilla Sauce
- First make Rhubarb compote with first 3 ingredients- Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Bring water to boil add sugar and stir to dissolve then add rhubarb cook about 5 minutes then put in bowl to cool.
- Second make strudel with next 10 ingredients. Separate butter in halve ; 4 tablespoons softened and 4 tablespoons melted.Separate eggs. Combine Farmers cheese with the 4 tablespoons of softened butter, confectioners sugar, cake flour, egg yolks, lemon zest , vanilla and puree in food processor. Add the sour cream and process till creamy.
- In another bowl beat the saved egg whites and beat until soft peak gradually add granulated sugar beat until stiff and fold whites into cheese mixture.
- Brush 5 sheets of phyllo with melted butter stacking them. With long side of phyllo facing you spread 1/2 cheese mixture along bottom edge. Spoon 1/4 cup cooled rhubarb compote over cheese mixture. Carefully roll strudel tucking in sides as you go. The recipe called for using a spatula to place on prepared baking sheet. I believe if you put parchment paper on baking sheet and sprayed with pam and did the assemble of the strudel there it would be much better. Anyway assemble remaining 5 sheets of phyllo same as above. Brush strudel with remaining melted butter and bake 45 minutes let strudel cool 30 minutes.
- Make the creme anglaise with the last5 ingredients . Combine milk, sugar and vanilla bring to simmer. In small bowl whisk egg yolks with cornstarch in thin stream whisk into hot milk mixture simmer until thickened about 3 minutes. Cover plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Serving--slide strudel onto work suface and cut into 4-5 pieces serve the strudel with the creme anglaise and remaining compote.