Recipe by *Pixie*
This is a great use for rhubarb straight from the garden. The first time I had this, I thought it was apple, not rhubarb.
Top Review by tednjoc
This cake was quite tasty, though exceedingly sweet. However, it was quite difficult to get out of the pan as it stuck to the bottom, and for this reason I won't be making it again.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups rhubarb, cut small
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream 1/2 c butter and white sugar.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and beaten egg.
- Mix well.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the rhubarb to the flour and stir.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Put in a greased 8 x 8 pan.
- Blend the brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 c butter.
- Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes at 350.
- Sides should pull away from pan.
- Best served hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.