Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great use for rhubarb straight from the garden. The first time I had this, I thought it was apple, not rhubarb.
- Cream 1/2 c butter and white sugar.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla and beaten egg.
- Mix well.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the rhubarb to the flour and stir.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
- Put in a greased 8 x 8 pan.
- Blend the brown sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 c butter.
- Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes at 350.
- Sides should pull away from pan.
- Best served hot with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
This cake was quite tasty, though exceedingly sweet. However, it was quite difficult to get out of the pan as it stuck to the bottom, and for this reason I won't be making it again.
This was unbelievably yummy! If it is any indication of other rhubarb recipes, I am now a rhubarb lover! I made this with fresh farmer's market rhubarb for a book club meeting and it was thoroughly enjoyed. DH had several pieces of the leftovers before bed, then polished it off for breakfast LOL. I reduced the sugar in the topping a bit, used half whole wheat flour, and used Smart Balance Omega spread for the butter. Delicious! Thanks so much for posting. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.
This is a fabulous cake! Made it as directed. Even those who don't like rhubarb gobbled this up! Looks impressive too! An absolute keeper!