Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
The Mayor of Lock Haven (Pennsylvania) made me this for my birthday one year, so I had to get the recipe from him. It's best served warm, and it has a streusel topping. Serve it with my vanilla sauce recipe: (#212142).
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or thawed if frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. beat in egg.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour into greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve with vanilla sauce.