Recipe by Thorsten
I love Rhubarb Cake. Caramel and orange juice make this one special. During rhubarb season we make this cake frequently.Cooking time does not include chilling time. You can bake the bottom and cook the rhubarb the night before. Make glaze and fill cake in the morning.- NOTE: it is advantageous to have a special form for the bottom, but if you us a simple round form, use a metal ring around the baked cake when you fill it. Remove carefully when filling has set.
Top Review by awalde
I had most of the ingredients on hand, included the special mold that I woundn't give up!
The cake was perfect and the dough perfect. This was a great change to the usual Rhabarber Wehe or the Crumble,
It looks also perfect and very attractive. For the jelly I used not the Dr. Otker brand and the custard was homemade.
Thanks a lot for this recipe.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, rind of
- 1 3⁄4 lbs rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 6 -8 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package red glaze mix (I use Dr. Oetker brand, see note)
- prepared vanilla pudding (optional)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare cake bottom according to recipe #119337 for German Fruit Cake Bottom, but use lemon rind instead of vanilla. You can make the cake bottom in advance.
- Let cake bottom cool completely. Meanwhile prepare rhubarb filling.
- Wash rhubarb, peel and cut into rather even 1/4 in pieces.
- Preheat pot on medium heat and add 3 tablespoons sugar. Caramelize sugar over medium high heat until light brown. Add orange juice and stir until the caramelized sugar is dissolved. Be careful, sugar will be very hot!
- Add rhubarb. Cook for about 5-8 minutes stirring constantly, until rhubarb is still firm to the bite. Add additional sugar to taste. Stir until dissolved.
- Drain rhubarb through a sieve and reserve liquid. Let rhubarb get cold.
- Measure liquid to make 1 cup. If necessary add water to make 1 cup. Prepare the glaze with the liquid according to package directions. Mix in rhubarb immediately and fill directly on cake bottom. Let set.
- Either top completely with a fluffy vanilla pudding and let it set, or simply top with freshly whipped sweetened cream.
- NOTE on Vanilla Pudding: use your favorite brand. We usually prepare 1 whole package and use about half on the cake. We easily find other uses for the rest.