Recipe by Annacia
From a Chatelaine magazine that I found at the Doc's office.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
What an unexpected delight! I was glad to find some frozen cut rhubarb at my grocery store, because the season for it is all-too-brief here. I made this exactly as posted, using packed brown sugar and adding the pecans. I did not bother with the glaze. The bread stands on its own, and is moist and flavorful. I definitely will make this again! Thanks for sharing.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 4 -5 teaspoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray the bottom of an 8 x 4 loaf pan.
- Stir flour with baking soda and salt in a small bowl. In another, larger, bowl whisk egg, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla together until blended. stir in the flour mix.
- Add rhubarb and pecans (if using) and stir just until combined. Scrape into the prepared pan.
- Bake in center of oven for 70 - 75 mins or until a tester inserted into cake center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes Remove from pan.
- While cake is cooling in the pan stir icing sugar with lemon juice in a small bowl, adding the juice 1 tsp at a time until thick and smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake when it's removed from the pan letting the glaze run down the sides.