Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Spring always gets my tastebuds tingling for one of my favourite fruits, rhubarb! I love the stuff! This is a delicious way of preparing it. Try serving it warm with a ginger ice cream!
For the rhubarb mix
- 8 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 1⁄2-3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ginger ale
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated gingerroot
For the topping
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Toss the rhubarb, sugar, gingerale, cornstarch and ginger together in a large bowl, moistening all the ingredients and making sure the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Place in a buttered 8 by 11 inch baking pan.
- Blend all of the topping ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over the rhubarb mixture, completely covering it.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the edges are quite bubbly.
- Serve warm in bowls with ginger ice cream if desired, or pouring cream. Yumm!
Outstanding! 5 stars does not do this recipe justice. I cut the recipe in half and it was just fine. Loved the ginger with rhubarb and the topping made an nice change from my usual crumble. Thanks again Marie for another winner!
This was so good. I love rhubarb too and the spices and the crunchy top were wonderful. I made it in the 8 by 11 inch pan and had a lot of boil over so next time, I'll make it in a 9 by 13 inch pan. I also combined the sugar and cornstarch together with a whisk before adding the rest of the ingredients, it worked well, no lumps of cornstarch.