This recipe comes from Alice Collins, a 90 year old grandmother in Ajax Ontario. She's been making this bread for friends, family, and bake sales for more than 35 years.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Line a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, all-purpose fluor, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Combine orange rind, orange juice, egg, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl; add to flour mixture.
- Sprinkle with rhubarb and walnuts (if using).
- Stir until moist but still lumpy.
- Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven about 1 hour, or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Serve within 24 hours.