Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from Alice Collins, a 90 year old grandmother in Ajax Ontario. She's been making this bread for friends, family, and bake sales for more than 35 years.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Line a 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Whisk whole wheat flour, all-purpose fluor, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Combine orange rind, orange juice, egg, and vegetable oil in a separate bowl; add to flour mixture.
- Sprinkle with rhubarb and walnuts (if using).
- Stir until moist but still lumpy.
- Scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven about 1 hour, or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Serve within 24 hours.
This is really delicious! Considering there are only 2 Tbsp oil in the whole recipe, this came out rich & buttery tasting. It is very tangy -from the rhubarb and the orange zest, no doubt. If you like a less sweet tea loaf, with a rich, unique flavor, then you will also enjoy this. Cooked exactly in 1 hour.
Those 90 year old Grandma's are amazing cooks!! This was incrediable! I am not usually an orange flavor person. I ate more pieces of this than I care to admit, you just can't stop slicing another piece. I did use 2 cups of white flour because I didnt have whole wheat. Its moist and that orange flavor is there but not over powering. I doubled the recipe to made two loaves, one I added nuts too and one I didnt because some family members don't like nuts. This is a keeper, I have already mentioned it to more than one person. Thanks for a great recipe!!
Wonderfully textured quick bread that baked as stated in one hour. I found the orange flavor overpowering and couldn't taste the rhubarb at all. I would substitute apple or rhubarb juice next time. Didn't miss the oil at all and it's a great way to get some whole wheat in the diet.