Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a Linneus Snowsport's Recipe. Snowsled clubs are scattered all over northern Maine and have the most delicious recipes in their cookbooks.. not to mention all the great cooks!
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 -3 teaspoons margarine
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease and flour two bread tins.
- Prheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Coat rhubarb w/ 2 tablespoons flour.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Mix well and stir into dry ingredients.
- Fold rhubarb into batter.
- Pour into bread pans.
- Sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve with strawberry preserves.
WOW. I can't believe how good this bread is. I thought it was an interesting idea, so I decided to try it out, and I'm glad I did. What a great way to make use of rhubarb. I doubled the recipe and added an over-ripe banana that I had laying around, but other than that followed the recipe to the letter. It was easy to make, and not too time consuming. My husband and I ate almost an entire loaf right out of the oven. We have been eating it plain---no margarine or jam or anything---and it's delicious. Thanks!!!
Great recipe, followed it to a tee. Gave some to friends and family with requests poring in for repeat. It overflowed the two bread pans I used so will use three tin foil bread pans this time and get the extra loaf.
Very good. I added walnuts. I used 8x4" loaf pans. Perfect size.