Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My friend Marie made this. It is great. It has a nice topping. It is another thing to do with rhubarb.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Grease two loaf pans.
- Dice the rhubarb and chop the nuts.
- Mix everything, except the topping ingredients, together in a large bowl.
- Mix well and pour into prepared loaf pans.
- Topping: Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 60 minutes, taking care not to overbake. This was in big letters so it must be a problem to watch out for lol.
I found this recipe while doing the search to post the recipe I have from my mom. The only difference is that my recipe calls for 2/3 c. oil. We love this recipe and have used it for years. I do all kinds of substitutions depending on what I have - most of the time I use 1/2 whole wheat flour and/or add applesauce in place of some of the oil, or toss in some ground flaxseed. I almost always double the recipe. Usually, it turns out great!
This rhubarb bread is dense, moist & the taste just superb ... but the texture was a prob for me. It is most likely an error on my part, but it was difficult to cut into intact pieces as it tended to crumble. Thicker slices & careful handling helped. In addition, the sugar topping looked lovely, but was crunchy from baking & crumbled away w/ea slicing effort ... even after chilling overnite. This is so good & I want to get it right, so I will repeat this after the holiday w/o the sugar topping. I esp like this way of using my excess summer supply of rhubarb that ends up in my freezer. Thx for posting this recipe for us.