Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I got this recipe from my little Best of Home Cooking book. The lady who baked this won the best of show for her efforts. This pie has a lattice top.
Top Review by meliswils
This was excellent!! I used 1 and 1/3 c of sugar and 2/3 c of flour along with a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt because I ended up with roughly 5c of rhubarb and 1c of apple - I topped with a crumb topping so I baked it for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Rave reviews here :-)
- 946.36 ml sliced rhubarb
- 236.59 ml peeled and chopped apple
- 395.10 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 0.25 ml ground cinnamon
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- For the filling:.
- In a large saucepan combine the rhubarb, apple, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Cook and stir over medium heat just until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add the butter. Cool.
- In the meantime, prepare a pastry shell for a double crust pie.
- To assemble the crust:.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough from the center out to form a 12 inch circle. Place this into a 9 inch pie dish.
- Trim to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the plate.
- Put the prepared filling into the pie shell.
- Roll the remaining pie dough out and form it into a 12 inch circle.
- Cut the pastry (for the lattice) into 3/4 to 1 1 1/4 inch strips.
- Weave the strips over the filling in a lattice pattern. Press the ends of the strips into the crust edge. Fold the bottom pastry over the ends of the strips; crimp the edge.
- To prevent the edges of the crust from burning cover with tin foil.
- You might want to put this on a baking sheet with edges so the bottom of your oven doesn't get any filling on it.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes. The remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until the center is bubbly and the crust golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Bon Appetit!