1/1 Photo of Rhubarb Apple Pie
1 hr 20 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I got this recipe from my little Best of Home Cooking book. The lady who baked this won the best of show for her efforts. This pie has a lattice top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400'F.
- 2For the filling:.
- 3In a large saucepan combine the rhubarb, apple, sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- 4Cook and stir over medium heat just until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add the butter. Cool.
- 5In the meantime, prepare a pastry shell for a double crust pie.
- 6To assemble the crust:.
- 7On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the dough from the center out to form a 12 inch circle. Place this into a 9 inch pie dish.
- 8Trim to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the plate.
- 9Put the prepared filling into the pie shell.
- 10Roll the remaining pie dough out and form it into a 12 inch circle.
- 11Cut the pastry (for the lattice) into 3/4 to 1 1 1/4 inch strips.
- 12Weave the strips over the filling in a lattice pattern. Press the ends of the strips into the crust edge. Fold the bottom pastry over the ends of the strips; crimp the edge.
- 13To prevent the edges of the crust from burning cover with tin foil.
- 14You might want to put this on a baking sheet with edges so the bottom of your oven doesn't get any filling on it.
- 15Bake the pie for 25 minutes. The remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until the center is bubbly and the crust golden.
- 16Cool on a wire rack.
- 17Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.0
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 256.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 44.0 g
- Protein 4.0 g