Recipe by MarieRynr
Rhubarb and strawberries are a wonderful spring combination, especially in a silky, creamy custard trifle!!! Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by Stinkerbell
This is a gorgeous dessert and a lovely way to make use of all those delicious strawberries and rhubarb out there this time of year. I made it at the weekend for a family gathering and there was none left over and several people asked me for the recipe. Thanks!
- 3 cups milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 7 cups cubed angel food cake or 7 cups sponge cakes
- 2 cups stewed rhubarb
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- toasted whole almond (to garnish)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- strawberry (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around edge.
- In a seperate saucepan, beat egg yolks, sugar and constarch until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in hot milk; cook over medium heat, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, cool.
- Whip cream and whisk one quarter into custard.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spread half of the cake in a 12 or 14 cup glass serving bowl.
- Spread half of the rhubarb over cake, then half the strawberries.
- Repeat layers.
- Chill for at least 1 hour or for up to 8 hours.
- Garnish with almonds, whole strawberries and whipped cream.