Prep 1 hr 9 mins
Cook 15 mins
We enjoyed this over low-fat vanilla ice cream -- an interesting and different way to use the mint I have growing all over the place. Recipe source: local newspaper which states this was adapted from Bon Appetit (May, 2008)
- 3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- In a saucepan combine the rhubarb, sugar and water over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves (3-5 minutes).
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir in strawberries.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in mint.
- Chill until cold (at least 1 hour).
Thank you ellie for a truly delightful and delicious way for me use two of my favorite fruits (well two of many) and indulge in my obsession with icecream. I did use FF FrozenYogurt to offset the use of sugar in this compote. Although there too I did sub a bit of Splenda in with the regular sugar. Also tossed in a sprinkling of allspice and cinnamon. Fabulous~! Thanks for sharing and posting. Made for NewestZaar Tag~