Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe from Jamie Oliver's cookbook" Jamie at Home" is a classic rhubarb crumble recipe with a twist. Adding fresh ginger and rolled oats makes the best crumble mix ever. It's an absolutely delicious combination of flavors and really nice served with thick Jersey cream or cold custard
- 2 1⁄4 lbs rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into large chunks (about 7 1/2 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2 pieces fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°F Put the rhubarb and half the sugar into a pan. Add the orange juice and zest, put a lid on top, bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for around 5 more minutes, until the rhubarb has softened slightly. Spoon into an ovenproof baking dish or individual dishes and spread out evenly across the bottom.
- To make your crumble topping, use your fingers to lightly rub together the flour and butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the oats, the rest of the sugar and the ginger. (If you like, you can make the crumble topping in a food processor. Just whack in the flour, butter, sugar and ginger and whiz up. Add the oats for the last 10 seconds.) Sprinkle the crumble over the rhubarb and bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the rhubarb is bubbling up and crumble is golden.