Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, Diced
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, Finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and corn starch in medium sauce.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Cool and set aside.
- Stir together milk and vinegar and set aside.
- Combine flour and remaining 3/4 cup sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and set 1/2 cup of mixture aside.
- To remainder add baking powder, baking soda and nuts.
- Combine egg and milk mixture and add to dry ingredients, stir until just moistened.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter over the bottom and sides of a buttered 9" spring form pan.
- Spoon rhubarb filling over batter.
- Drop remaining batter over rhubarb by spoonful, sprinkle with reserved streussel mixture.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven 50 minutes.
My family enjoyed this cake. It was fairly easy to prepare. I did not have a spring form pan so I used an 8"x8" square pan. This was a sweet tasting cake that was wonderful with a cup of tea. It kept for several days in the frig. and the last piece was as good if not better than the first. It did only take 45 min. in my oven. Definitely a keeper! CandleLady9ah