Recipe by Nadine81
Rhubarb and custard go so well together. It looks really pretty too. You cant go wrong with this recipe!
Top Review by BarbryT
Luscious! Smelled heavenly cooking. I am so glad I made this for PAC Fall 07. I am SORRY I had to give it to my neighbors since I am leaving for vacation within hours. I shall report from them when I return.
- 1 lb pastry dough, base
- 1 pint milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 ounces sugar
- 3 stalks rhubarb
- 3 ounces sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 180c.
- grease an 8 inch tart dish.
- Roll out pastry and line the dish with it.
- Blind bake (place a sheet of grease proof paper over pastry and weight down with dried beans or pulses) for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 130c.
- Meanwhile, Add sugar to milk and heat in a saucepan to just before boiling point.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks together.
- slowly add the heated milk to the eggs, stirring all the time.
- Return to the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat, stirring constantly.
- On a medium heat cook rhubarb with water and sugar until rhubarb softens and becomes a jam-like in consistency.
- Spread rhubarb on pie crust, slowly pour custard over rhubarb filling, try not to disturb the rhubarb.
- Cook for 40 minutes in oven. until Custard begins to brown.