Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Rhubarb and custard go so well together. It looks really pretty too. You cant go wrong with this recipe!
- preheat oven to 180c.
- grease an 8 inch tart dish.
- Roll out pastry and line the dish with it.
- Blind bake (place a sheet of grease proof paper over pastry and weight down with dried beans or pulses) for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 130c.
- Meanwhile, Add sugar to milk and heat in a saucepan to just before boiling point.
- Beat eggs and egg yolks together.
- slowly add the heated milk to the eggs, stirring all the time.
- Return to the saucepan and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat, stirring constantly.
- On a medium heat cook rhubarb with water and sugar until rhubarb softens and becomes a jam-like in consistency.
- Spread rhubarb on pie crust, slowly pour custard over rhubarb filling, try not to disturb the rhubarb.
- Cook for 40 minutes in oven. until Custard begins to brown.
Luscious! Smelled heavenly cooking. I am so glad I made this for PAC Fall 07. I am SORRY I had to give it to my neighbors since I am leaving for vacation within hours. I shall report from them when I return.