Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are a fantastic way to use up rhubarb. They are a big hit in my house hold. I guess you could use apple instead of rhubarb but I have never tried that. One tip when you strain the rhubarb juices don't throw them away; they are delicious mixed in with plain yogurt.
- 450 g rhubarb
- 50 g dark muscovado sugar
- 140 g light muscovado sugar
- 75 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 284 ml sour cream
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 8 tablespoons ready made thick devon custard
- Cook the rhubarb.
- Turn the oven to conventional 180°°C/fan 160C/gas4.
- Trim the ends of the rhubarb and cut into chunks.Put in a pan with 2 tablespoons of water and the dark muscovado sugar and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently, uncovered for 10 minutes until tender, drain off the juices.
- Mix the buns.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin. In a large bowl beat together the light muscovado sugar, oil, egg, orange rind and soured cream until combined. Gently mix in the flour then fold in the rhubarb.
- Fill and bake.
- Divide three quarters of the batter evenly between the muffin holes. Make a dip in the centre of each bun with a spoon, then fill each dip with a small blob of chilled custard. Gently smooth the rest of the bun mix over the custard. Bake for 25 minutes or until risen, pale golden and oozing custard.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with caster sugar.