Recipe by andypandy
this recipe I got from Miriam Morash on the Victory Gardens many years ago..I will now post it to share.
- 2 lbs rhubarb, washed and diced
- 4 large granny smith apples, dice same size as rhubarb
- 1⁄3 cup fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash and dice rhubarb and apples all the same size pieces.
- Add in the fresh ginger, white sugar, tapioca.
- Toss all well together.
- Place in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a food processor put the flour and brown sugar and cold butter.
- Pulse until like pea like pieces or a coarse cornmeal texture.
- Add the oats and almonds by hand crumbling well together.
- Spread crumb mixture over fruit mixture.
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- Note: this recipe in with the fruit also had 1/2 tsp ground ginger, but I always thought the fresh ginger was enough.
- Use your judgement if you would like to add it or not.