This recipe comes from "New British Classics" by Gary Rhodes. The fruit is surrounded by slices of bread, and it goes well with custard or cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. This recipe will use 6 3x2inch metal pudding molds or a 4x3 inch cake pan.
- 2Butter the bread on one side.
- 3Cut six slices of bread into disks that will fit the bases of the molds, plus six to fit the top. If using a single cake pan, cut bread to fit.
- 4Remove the crusts from the remaining bread and slice each into 1 inch fingers.
- 5Place a disk of bread in each mold, with the butter side down. Lay the fingers around the insides of the molds with the butter against the sides. It is okay if they are slightly overlapping.
- 6Melt half the butter in a large saucepan and add the rhubarb once it starts to bubble.
- 7Stir for one minute before adding 2 ounces of the sugar.
- 8Cook rhubarb for a further minute, then strain the rhubarb in a colander. Save the collected juice.
- 9Melt the remaining butter and add the apples once bubbling.
- 10Cook for 2 minutes hefore adding the remaining sugar.
- 11Cook for a further 2 minutes and allow to cool.
- 12Mix a quarter of the cooked rhubarb with the collected juices and bring to a simmer.
- 13Cook rhubarb until tender, then liquidize to create sauce.
- 14Mix fruits together once they have cooled.
- 15Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if needed.
- 16Divide mixture between the molds then top with the lids. Fold over any excess bread to help secure the lids in place.
- 17Bake individual charlottes for 20 minutes or a large charlotte for 40-45 minutes.
- 18To serve, turn out of molds and serve with rhubarb sauce.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rhubarb and Apple Charlotte (Gary Rhodes)
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.1
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 574.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g